Friday 3 November 2017

on the trail

The items that I chose to include in Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes, which I posted last week, have two characteristics in common. The first is obvious: they all reflected changes that had occurred while I was away. The second is not obvious: all the reported changes were unexpected. However, there was one location where I did expect change to have taken place, and that is the subject of this post.

I first wrote about ‘the nature trail’ back in January, and I strongly recommend that you check out that earlier post for background information on this location. I concluded that post with the following:
I will be back here a few weeks later to see if Michael was correct, that the work here is unfinished. I do hope so.
Although I cycled past the entrance to this alley almost every subsequent Sunday, it wasn’t until my first Sunday back in Hong Kong (last week) that I took another look. The most obviously new artwork is these two colourful hexagonal ‘mosaics’:



The next image shows a section of the path and how most of the artwork here has been painted along one side, presumably so that people can avoid walking on it.


The following photos have been arranged in the order in which they were taken. They are, in general, more elaborate than those featured in Nature Trail (most of which have now faded), although the same flower/foliage motifs predominate.




The anthropomorphic carrot in the next photo is in the same style as those painted on one of the houses in ghost alley (the entrance to which is only about 50–60 metres further along Ping Yuen Road), which is strong evidence that the same people were responsible for the art in both locations.









To be continued (probably).

6 comments:

  1. I do hope that people living there are as happy as those paintings!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too! The paintings certainly brightened up our day when we visited last Saturday.

      Delete
  2. What fun! And how artisically superior to what we see on walls in England!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun indeed Peter. And I keep coming across this kind of artistic endeavour when I’m out on my bike.

      Delete
  3. How nice to have so much whimsy right outside your door (or gate).
    It's not often that I see the word "anthropomorphic." Just yesterday, I was looking at some "anthropomorphs" in a desert cave.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just make sure that you write about those anthropomorphs on your blog Pat.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment if you have time, even if you disagree with the opinions expressed in this post, although you must expect a robust defence of those opinions if you choose to challenge them. Anonymous comments may not be accepted.