Friday 4 January 2013

photographic abstraction #5

This is the latest in my series of abstract photographs; links to previous posts in the series are provided below. Although I am attempting to make artistic statements with these photos, it is more important to stimulate the individual viewer’s imagination, so you can ignore any messages that you think I may be trying to convey and substitute your own.

Based on what you see in the pictures, you may want to suggest alternative titles. These images were created by cropping, altering the tonal balance and increasing the contrast; however, any creativity is in the taking of the original photos and not in any subsequent manipulation.

Given that previous posts have proved popular with readers, I plan to add new posts in this series quarterly in future.

other posts in this series
Photographic Abstraction.
Photographic Abstraction #2.
Photographic Abstraction #3.
Photographic Abstraction #4.

criss cross

fireball

interstellar overdrive

night and day

splash!

13 comments:

  1. I love the fireball one, and with the interstellar overdrive I can actually see a face shape in it - and I've not had a drink yet either, ha ha ha. My favorite was the splash though. It's got a crazy look to it and looks more like a painting than a photograph so it's my best one. Great pics Dennis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just the one face Rum? I can see at least six (although I have been drinking). As for Splash!, it looks like what it is, if that makes any sense.

      Delete
  2. These are truly magical, Dennis. I love your titles as well, they tell me something about your imagination. I really don't have a favorite, but Splash-the title and the photo-seem at least to me to go so perfectly together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marty. I’ve been accused of having a ‘weird’ imagination, but I’ll leave it to others to decide whether such an accusation is justified. However, the titles do reflect what I see in the pictures.

      Delete
  3. love these images. Also I like the way you name them. "night and day" seems to extend the imagination from the visual effect, "interstellar overdrive" give me a "naughty" modern cartoonish impression. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I do encourage viewers to use their own imaginations Yunyi, and you are certainly doing that. I would agree that Interstellar Overdrive has a “cartoonish” feel to it, rather like Ghost in #4 in this series (which you didn’t think looked like a ghost!). Both images are of course from the same source.

      Delete
  4. All very good, Dennis. The last one is spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But can you guess what that last one is a photo of Ana?

      Delete
  5. My favorite one is "Interstellar Overdrive" it even sounds sexy ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about ‘sexy’ Angie, but Interstellar Overdrive is the title of an instrumental on Pink Floyd’s first album (which is where I filched it from).

      Delete
  6. I really like them all, but I can't stop staring at "Interstellar Overdrive." It contains all kind of images for me. Maybe it's a long range flashback caused by ingestion of banned substances while attending a Pink Floyd concert decades ago...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might be a flashback Pat. I never saw Floyd live, but their first two albums were de rigueur on the stereo when I was experimenting with “banned substances…decades ago”!

      Delete

Please leave a comment if you have time, even if you disagree with the opinions expressed in this post, although you must expect a robust defence of those opinions if you choose to challenge them. Anonymous comments may not be accepted.