Tuesday 30 October 2012

photographic abstraction #4

I present the latest in my series of photographs inspired by abstract expressionism. They do have something to say as artistic statements, but I believe that it is more important to stimulate the individual viewer’s imagination, so you can ignore any messages that you think I may be trying to convey and substitute your own.

The invitation that I extended in previous instalments, that you may want to suggest alternative titles for these pictures, remains in place. Background on how and why these images were created can be found by checking the previous posts in this series. And don’t forget that you can create a slide show by clicking on the first picture.

other posts in this series
Photographic Abstraction.
Photographic Abstraction #2.
Photographic Abstraction #3.

sand
migration

ghost

autumn rhythm

spillage
amoeba

13 comments:

  1. Awesome photos, Dennis. "Amoeba" reminds me of spilled coffee grounds from my espresso machine, and "Migration" made me think of wet feathers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well spotted Kris! Amoeba is indeed the overflow from my cafetière. It’s a fairly regular occurrence (using too much hot water), and I always photograph the result before cleaning it up. I won’t say what Migration is just yet, but it isn't wet feathers.

      Delete
  2. What a super photographer you are, Dennis! I particularly like Migration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You flatter me Ana. It’s surprising what you can do with a cheap digital camera.

      Delete
  3. I'm with Ana, I like the Migration the best :)
    The first thing I thought of was "The Exodus" and then I read you called it Migration.
    I totally see that. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You’re thinking along the same lines as me Angie. I thought that Migration looked like a shoal (herd?) of strange, blobby creatures moving from left to right across the picture.

      Delete
  4. I personally like Migration the most as well, trying to think what is it...I would say sand but not sure really.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like Migration the most as well. I'm trying to guess what is it...I would say sand...but not sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done Marysia. Your guess is spot on. Migration was taken on a beach. But not just any beach! That photo was taken on Whitehaven Beach in the Whitsunday Islands off the coast of Queensland. What’s unusual about this beach? The dry sand squeaks when you walk on it, hence the local Aborigine name, which translates as ‘the whispering sands’.

      Delete
  6. Sounds cool, I have to admit that this is a very unique pattern on the sand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not as uncommon as you seem to think Marysia. All it takes is running water.

      Delete
  7. my favorite is the second one. though it doesn't look like a ghost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine that the Chinese conception of a ghost differs from the Western one Yunyi, but I did invite you to make your own interpretation. So what does it look like?

      Delete

Please leave a comment if you have time, even if you disagree with the opinions expressed in this post, although you must expect a robust defence of those opinions if you choose to challenge them. Anonymous comments may not be accepted.